Learn the latest on Mastering Fair Debt Debt Collection Practices with this convenient, 24/7 On-demand Seminar & Complimentary Podcast. Register to obtain CLE & MCLE credit, online access to course & reference materials, and attend this on-demand seminar. YOU MAY LISTEN FROM ALMOST ANY TYPE OF COMPUTER OR IPOD. ACCESS TO THE RECORDING AND MATERIALS DOES NOT EXPIRE.
Mastering Effective Debt Collection Practices Benefits:
90-Minute On-demand Seminar & Complimentary Podcast
Listen as many times as you wish and ACCESS TO THE RECORDING AND MATERIALS DOES NOT EXPIRE
Includes Online Access to Course/Reference Material & Complimentary Podcast.
Register for CLE & MCLE credit - specific credit hours are listed at the bottom of this page.
Collection law has become one of the most sought after practice areas in the last few years. The weak economy has hindered the already difficult challenge of collecting debt. A creditor’s ability to collect from a debtor is governed under a web of federal and state legislation that regulates the credit and collection industry, as well as provides consumer debtors protection from abusive and deceptive practices. This convenient, 24/7 on-demand seminar covers the latest laws and policies governing the process and outlines the best practices to avoid lawsuits from debtors. The program also presents cutting-edge arguments used in consumer debt collection matters. Our nationally recognized faculty will cover actions available to consumers as well as strategies for attorneys representing creditors. Our faculty will also discuss effectively obtaining attorneys’ fees, costs, bankruptcy issues related to successful collection strategies, avoiding common ethical issues, trust account procedures, and other regulatory matters. Registration includes course and reference materials that serve as a helpful guide to the best practices and techniques discussed in this convenient 24/7 on-demand seminar. Agenda: 1. Successfully Arguing & Defending Claims Related to Debt Collection Practices
a. Defining Deceptive, Misleading, and Unfair Practices
b. Winning at Discovery Strategies
c. Pre-Collect & Early Out Collections
d. Successfully Identifying & Calculating Damages
e. Liability under FDCPA: Statutory, Actual, Punitive, Class Action Damages
f. Jurisdiction Guidelines & Removal Issues
g. Credit Reporting and the FDCPA 2. Cutting-edge Compliance Issues:
a. Effectively Determining When An Attorney Becomes A Debt Collector
b. Impact of the Least Sophisticated Debtor
c. Best Practices Related to Validation Notices and Risks of Overshadowing
d. Strategies to Avoid Common Communication Pitfalls
e. Successfully Collecting Attorneys’ Fees, Costs, and Interest in Consumer Matters
f. Bona Fide Error Defense
g. Sanctions, Effective Defenses and Counter-claims 3. Bankruptcy Issues Impacting Collection Law:
a. Pre-litigation Tools: Forensic Audits & Relief Programs
b. Essential Defensive Tools
c. Best Practices on Discussing Bankruptcy Options with Clients
d. Determining the Impact of Bankruptcy on Civil Judgments
e. Effectively Utilizing Collection Remedies in Bankruptcy
4. Recorded Question & Answer Session with the Experts Biography of Seminar Faculty:
1. Mark C. Rossi,
a national authority on collecting assets, is a partner at Esher and Rossi, where he concentrates his practice on representing individual and commercial debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, and creditors’ committees in a variety of matters arising under state law and federal bankruptcy law. Mr. Rossi also represents bankruptcy trustees in various liquidation and litigation proceedings. He is a highly sought after lecturer and author, having published numerous articles and spoken widely on the complexities associated with bankruptcy and insolvency. Mr. Rossi has served as an adjunct professor of law, where he taught an advanced course concentrating on Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights. Mr. Rossi is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys.
2. Hyung S. Choi
is a partner of Choi & Fabian, PLC, where he focuses on protecting consumers from avaricious business practices. Mr. Choi has significant experience with consumer protection statutes such as the Consumer Fraud Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Truth in Lending Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and the Uniform Commercial Code. He has successfully handled hundreds of consumer protection cases, including class action lawsuits against car dealers and finance companies. Mr. Choi’s efforts have resulted in numerous groundbreaking published decisions favoring consumers in federal and states courts.
3. Zachary D. Miller
concentrates his practice at Burr & Forman LLP on consumer finance and financial services. He has been ranked by his peers for inclusion in Super Lawyers for excellence in practice. Mr. Miller has shared his insight on consumer finance by speaking and publishing widely in the field, including on the bona fide error defense, attorneys fees in consumer finance, & MERS-related litigation. He holds a law degree from the Indiana University. You will receive access to recording, podcast, course & reference material, and information related to CLE/MCLE credit as soon as you register with a credit card or when your check is processed. CLE ACCREDITATION: Rossdale CLE is a national leader in attorney education and has trained thousands of attorneys, paralegals, and other legal professionals.
Attend this 24/7 on-demand seminar & podcast seminar for CLE & MCLE credit with the following pending & approved jurisdictions:
1. Alaska Bar Association for 1.5 CLE Credits *
2. Alabama State Bar MCLE Commission for 1.5 MCLE credits
3. Arizona State Bar for 1.5 CLE credits**
4. State Bar of California for 1.5 MCLE credits
5. Colorado Supreme Court Board of Continuing Legal & Judicial Education for 1.8 CLE Credits
6. Connecticut (CLE credits are not required, but are encouraged)**
7. District of Columbia (CLE credits are not required)***
8. Florida Bar for 2.0 CLE credits
9. Georgia Bar for 1.5 CLE credits
10. Idaho State Bar for 1.5 CLE credits
11. Indiana Commission for Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE Credits
12. Louisiana Supreme Court Commission on MCLE for 1.5 MCLE credits
13. Maryland (CLE credits are not required)**
14. Massachusetts (CLE credits are not required)**
15. Michigan (CLE credits are not required)**
16. Mississippi Commission on Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE credits
17. Nebraska Mandatory Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE credits
18. Nevada Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE credits
19. New Jersey Board on Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE credits (per Rule 201:4)
20. New Mexico Minimum Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 CLE credits
21. New York State Bar for 1.5 CLE credits
22. North Carolina State Bar Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE credits
23. Oregon State Bar for 1.5 CLE credits
24. Rhode Island Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for 1.5 CLE credits
25. South Dakota (CLE credits are not required)**
26. Texas State Bar for 1.5 CLE credits
27. Utah State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 MCLE credits
28. Vermont Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 CLE credits
29. Virginia State Bar for 1.5 MCLE credits
30. Washington State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 MCLE credits
31. Wisconsin Board of Bar Examiners for 1.5 CLE credits
Additional States - call customer service at (888) 626-3462
* Members of the Alaska Bar Association may report 1.5 CLE credits for participating in this course as it has been approved by other mandatory CLE jurisdictions for 1.5 CLE credits.
** The State Bar of Arizona does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education requirement. This activity may qualify for up to 1.5 hours toward your annual CLE requirement for the State Bar of Arizona, including 0 hour(s) of professional responsibility.
*** States that do not require CLE are indicated above. Rossdale does not apply for CLE in these states as CLE credit is not required. For additional questions, please call 888-626-3462. REGISTER FOR CLE CREDIT AND LISTEN & LEARN AT YOUR CONVENIENCE WITH THIS 24/7 ON-DEMAND DOWNLOADABLE SEMINAR.
You will receive an on-demand download of the seminar, accompanying materials, and information to report the CLE credits as soon as you register with a credit card or when we process your check.